Tuesday, January 16, 2007

In the Words of a Samurai


"In the words of the ancients, one should make his decision within the space of seven breaths. It is a matter of being determined and having the spirit to break through to the other side. " - Ghost Dog
Even though it took us much longer than seven breaths to come up with our dates for Man's Weekend, I am glad that we have come to a consensus. I don't know if anyone saw the Golden Globes on Monday but Forest Whitaker won the Best Actor for his role as brutal Ugandan dictator Idi Amin in the 1970's in The Last King of Scotland. (Has anybody seen it?) He looked like a B-list actor during his acceptance speech . It was kind of wierd. He was crying and short of words the entire time. People were kind of looking on like"oh, that's cute because he has never one anything before." But in my opinion this is no way for a Samurai to act. This brings me to my next thought...
I would like to nominate Ghost Dog as the movie of year for the Third annual Man's Weekend. I don't know who else was with me when we watched this at Edna's but Forest was snubbed for an Oscar for this masterpiece. No one before or since has read ancient Samurai pieces of wisdom with such grace and strength. Let me leave you with a little clip...

1 comment:

JDL said...

I always think of Rex Kwon Do from Napolean Dynamite when I hear this movie.

"you'll be prepared to defend yourself with the strength of a grizzly, the reflexes of a puma, and the wisdom of a man"

The wisdom of a man video clip is when he has a lady in a headlock, and that's hilarious to me.