Monday, April 27, 2009

A Night with The Boss



It's rare that Kandice and I are not with at least one of our three children, if not all three.  Last night was a special exception.  Kandice and I spent the evening with Bruce Springsteen in Atlanta, GA.  I had not been to a concert in years and really never dreamed that I'd get to see Springsteen.  There are three events leading up to this culminating moment that I'd like to revisit:

1. The year was 1993.  I was immersed in classic rock and thought Born in the USA was the greatest song ever assembled.  So I went to Wal-Mart and bought Springsteen's greatest hits and listened to Born in the USA on repeat for days.  I think I pretty much ignored the rest of the album for several years and didn't pull it back out till later in high school and college, major oversight.

2. The year was 2002.  The location was RiverStages in Nashville.  Counting Crows played that Friday night.  In an explicit act of God's sovereignty, the heavens began to rain as they started Rain King.  Mid-way through the song the band stopped and transitioned to covering Thunder Road and then would finish Rain King.  It was a sweet moment, and it occured to me how cool it would be to hear Bruce play Thunder Road one day.

3.  The year was 2002.  Ross Denney had accompanied me on a trip to Chattanooga for undisclosed reasons.  On the way back to Cookeville on a dark 111 in Hoss, we listened to Bruce and the E Street Band while we smoked Turkish Golds.  Do you remember that Ross?  It was a good ride home.

All of this led up to last night.  It was the best show I've ever seen.  If anyone has the chance to see Springsteen I'd recommend it.  

On a rattlesnake speedway in the Utah desert
I pick up my money and head back into town
Driving cross the Waynesboro county line
I got the radio on and I'm just killing time
Working all day in my daddy's garage
Driving all night, chasing some mirage
Pretty soon little girl I'm gonna take charge.

The dogs on main street howl,
'cause they understand,
If I could take one moment into my hands
Mister, I ain't a boy, no, I'm a man,
And I believe in a promised land.

8 comments:

zannapics said...

Yes, I remember that Counting Crows Rain King...what a moment!

JDL said...

Interestingly enough, I have a memory of the Boss with Ross as well. Matt Damon hosted SNL and Bruce was the musical guest.

For his second song, he played "You're Missing" with just him, the piano and a harmonica. We watched it through the megaphone on the couch, and I'm sure Ross fell asleep soon after that. That couch was his Kryptonite.

RD said...

I remember the Counting Crows moment. I tell that story to everyone I can and it brings a tear to my eye everytime.

I also remember the trip to Chattanooga. I remember you singing Sister Golden Hair and the Turkish Golds. Pretty sure I threw up in my mouth a little from those on during the ride. The Hoss was rolling that night.

JD, the megaphone made us feel like we were in the audience. And yes I fell asleep, probably mid-sentence. That couch was A-mazing.

Andrew said...

Just when I was about to come to the blog to offer up a RIP post complete with picture of the Undertaker, Landon drops this on us and covers over a multitude of sins.

Jones said...

This sounds like an awesome night, Landon. If your next child is born in late Janurary then I expect it to be named Bruce or Boss (regardless of gender).

Kevin said...

I too remember the night Counting Crows made it rain in Nashville. I believe Andrew and I were standing down in front of the stage about 10 feet back. Awesome.

Kevin said...

Who's zanna? Intro please.

zannapics said...

Hello - I'm Zanna and I used to live in Nashville. I found this thru a CC Google alerts.

Been to 20+ CC shows and this moment was so amazing...words do not describe.

www.dinojrfrk2.deviantart.com